Monthly nr 6

June 2005

Skycontrol Home

Air Sports News

Content of June 2005

Bristol International Balloon Fiesta
Thursday 11th – Sunday 14th August 2005

1. New Advertising opportunities on the Big Screens for Local and National businesses.
Once again this year the Fiesta is giving you the opportunity to advertise on the two Big Screens, mounted either side of the stage - which is located in a prominent, highly visible area of the site. During the weekend these screens will be showing a varied and exciting programme of live Fiesta activity and pre-recorded footage. This provides an excellent opportunity for advertisers to reach an audience of up to half a million people over the four-day event. If you would like more details please contact the Fiesta office on 0117 953 5884 or email [email protected]

2. Volunteer appeal
Johns Grooms, the official charity of the Fiesta 2005, is seeking the help of enthusiastic and reliable volunteers to help with their fundraising events. If you are above the age of 16 and keen to get involved with this year\'s fun-filled Fiesta selling John Grooms merchandise and Fiesta programmes, please contact Louise Newman on 01179 425 046 or 07814 631 927 or send an email to [email protected]. Uniform and food vouchers will be supplied to all volunteers.

3. New Arena Events for 2005
This year’s arena will be packed full of new and exciting activity. For the first time ever, the fiesta will play host to a Donkey Derby on Saturday 13th where you can pick your favourite four legged friend and cheer them on from the sidelines. It’s time for fun and foam on Sunday 14th as local teams battle it out in a legendary It’s a Knockout competition. All proceeds from these activities go to official Fiesta charity, John Grooms. You can have fun and fundraise at the same time by getting involved in either of the above by sponsoring a race and all the donkeys in it (a chance to get your own back on work colleagues maybe?) or entering a team in It’s a Knockout. Please contact Emily Wilcox at John Grooms on 020 7452 2000.

4. Music
As in previous years the GWR free music concert will take place on the stage on Thursday 11th August from 2-9pm and promises to bring you more Chart-topping acts, which we will announce closer to the event. We can also confirm that the ever-popular classical day will take place again on Sunday 14th, with a concert by the Bristol Sinfonia.

5. Flyers
If you would like to receive more information about the event in the form of a nice glossy flyer then please email your postal address to [email protected] or download a PDF version from our website. Flyers will be available nearer the event.

6. Fiesta Buses
Fiesta Buses will be running from Temple Meads, the Bus Station and City Centre direct to the Fiesta, dropping off at the Dovecote Pub, the dedicated pedestrian entrance. Visit our website for more details

7. Clifton Suspension Bridge
The Clifton Suspension Bridge Trust has made the decision to close the bridge to both vehicles and pedestrians at scheduled times over the weekend. Please note that the bridge closure times are reduced from last year enabling more access to the Fiesta site. The bridge will be CLOSED TO TRAFFIC AND PEDESTRIANS from: 0900 on Thursday 11th August until 0500 on Friday 12th August, and from 1200 noon on Saturday 13th August until 0500 on Sunday 15th August. Therefore please plan your routes when travelling to the fiesta site for the following launches and Night Glows: Thursday pm, Saturday pm, The bridge will be OPEN TO TRAFFIC AND PEDESTRIANS between: 0500 on Friday 12th August until 12 noon on Saturday 13th August and from 0500 on Sunday onwards. Travelling over the bridge for the following launches remains unaffected: Friday am and pm, Saturday am, Sunday am and pm We have looked at alternative transport plans to ensure traffic flows smoothly and have a dedicated pedestrian entrance and bus drop off points at the Dovecote Pub. As you can see, the limited bridge closures shouldn’t affect your trip to the Fiesta and remember you can park in the on-site official Fiesta car parks for £7.00 per car leaving you free to enjoy a whole jam-packed day of fun and entertainment!!

The Fiesta’s official accommodation hotel sponsors are the Bristol Marriott Royal and Hilton Bristol. Hilton Bristol: 01454 201 144 Bristol Marriott Royal Hotel: 0117 325 5100 Please call them directly to discuss rates for the fiesta weekend.

For more information and pictures of the Fiesta, visit our website
We all look forward to seeing you at this year’s International Balloon Fiesta, where you are guaranteed a trip to remember.


Hang Gliding & Paragliding in South East Wales

Have you ever watched hang glider or paraglider pilots in action over the Welsh countryside, or birds circling effortless overhead? Do you long to join them, and experience the freedom of flight? If so, join the South East Wales hang gliding & paragliding club, and learn just how easy it is to make that particular dream come true by taking up the sport of hang gliding and paragliding.

Hang Gliding & Paragliding Today

The sport of Hang gliding and paragliding has progressed considerably since the early days, and the image of crazy individuals throwing themselves off the nearest hill on flimsy looking delta shaped wings. Modern hang gliders and paragliders have turned the dream of Icarus into reality. Materials which combine strength with light weight have helped create personal flying machines that can be packed away quickly, and carried on your shoulder. An aircraft that in expert hands can also climb up to four miles high, and cover distances in excess of 300 miles, with no power save the movement of the atmosphere itself.

The British Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association (BHPA) is the UK governing body for the sport, and has over 60 affiliated clubs. Each affiliated Club controls the flying sites located within its own area.

In Wales the majority of flying sites are controlled by the five regional clubs who make up the Welsh Free Flight Federation:
• Snowdonia Sky Sports
• The North Wales Hang Gliding & Paragliding Club
• The Mid Wales Hang Gliding & Paragliding Club
• The South West Wales Soaring Club
• The South East Wales Hang Gliding & Paragliding Club
Over the years things have changed as the sport has matured and developed. There are now BHPA registered schools throughout the UK where you can learn to fly a hang glider or paraglider in a safe environment. It really isn't as difficult as you might at first think.
The goal however remains the same, to experience the joy and freedom of personal flight.

SE Wales Hang Gliding & Paragliding Club

The South East Wales Hang Gliding & Paragliding Club controls 18 flying sites in SE Wales, situated in the area bounded approximately by Bridgend to the west, Hay-on-Wye to the north, and Monmouth to the east.

Many of these are "Open Sites" and may be flown by suitably qualified and insured visiting pilots. Others are more sensitive and have therefore been classed as "Members Only Sites". These may only be flown by Club members, or members of the Welsh Free Flight Federation.

The South East Wales Hang Gliding and Paragliding Club can trace its roots back to the 1970s, and the early days of hang gliding in the UK. But it wasn‘t until 1989 that the name of the Club was changed to the present one, to reflect the explosion of interest in paragliding.

In 1998, after two years of fund raising & negotiations, the SE Wales Hang Gliding & Paragliding Club purchased the Blorenge, and became the first UK club to own a major flying site.

The Club currently has over 450 members, who come from all over Wales and the UK.

Flying sites

The hills of SE Wales can provide some of the best flying in the UK. Visitors are always welcome on our "open" sites, but we do expect them to repay our hospitality by observing site rules.

Site rules have only been introduced to try to ensure everyone‘s safety, and our continued access to SE Wales flying sites for many years to come. Sites are often flown subject to agreements with local graziers, landowners, and farmers. Rules are frequently introduced to comply with their requirements. Please help us to maintain good relationships with our local communities, by behaving responsibly on and around our flying sites. All UK pilots must be members of the BHPA. Visitors from outside the UK should be able to demonstrate that they have adequate third party insurance, and an appropriate FAI pilot rating.

Foot Launched Powered Aircraft (FLPA) are not permitted on any of our Open sites.

Visiting FLPA pilots should not attempt to take off, soar, or land at any SE Wales flying site. Most existing site agreements are for "quiet air sports only", and usually specifically exclude use of the site by powered aircraft.

At the request of the landowner, access to some of our more sensitive sites has been restricted to Club members only. Members only sites may only be flown by SEWHG&PGC members, or members of the Welsh Free Flight Federation.

For further information, please visit:

Photos © SE Wales Hang Gliding & Paragliding Club


The Top 10 Ways to avoid trouble with a paramotor

  • 1. Get good, thorough, training preferably from a USPPA/USHGA certified instructor or one who's reputation you're familiar with. Make sure they use a thorough syllabus such as that provided to USPPA instructors.
  • 2. Respect the prop. When starting, assume the motor will go to full power and brace accordingly. Don't hold it by the cage during start, hold it by the frame. NEVER reach back towards the prop while in flight. The vast majority of all serious accidents in our sport revolve around this issue - getting limbs in the prop. And its easily one of the most preventable!
  • 3. Skip aerobatics and avoid steep maneuvering especially close to the ground.
  • 4. Avoid low flying especially downwind. Stay well above wires and keep enough room to turn and land into the wind if the motor should quit. Staying high also eliminates the strong illusion that brake input is having little turning effect which can result in over-control.
  • 5. Avoid tight or obstructed launch sites. It should be big enough so that a power-out option is always maintained. Two football or soccer fields side-by-side is about the right size.
  • 6. Fly good weather. Avoid mid-day, strong winds, thunderstorms (even if they LOOK far away), frontal conditions and anything that feels weird. Don't fly in the wind shadow of obstructions.
  • 7. Stay legal. Know where not to go: airspace, congested areas, TFR's (temporary flight restrictions) and others. If you don't know the area, check with a local airport to ask.
  • 8. Always have a safe landing option. Especially avoid flying over water beyond gliding distance to shore unless adequate flotation is carried. Note that even with flotation you may be suspended in a position where you cannot breath and also may become tangled in the lines in the water.
  • 9. Avoid in-flight distractions (taking photos, competitions or during ground activity) as much as possible. If engaging in one, try to check the flight path often. These times have proven very risky. Get above obstacles before beginning the distracting activity.
  • 10. Limit formation flying to no closer than one wingspan apart. Don't "surprise" another pilot and never touch wings with either your wing or a part of your body. Be mindful of other pilots wakes. Stay well clear of wakes from heavier craft such as powered parachutes.
There are, of course, many other ways to help improve safety but these are ones that would have prevented most of the accidents in the past. Safety gear such as a reserve parachute, hook knife, good boots, string (for tree extractions) is very helpful. A cell phone or 2-way radio has proven valuable too along with making sure somebody knows where you're going.


It's important to know that doing any of these things on your own, without appropriate precautions, supervision and skills is extremely risky. It can and has proven deadly.

Maneuvers are generally recognized as training or descent techniques that have applicability for regular pilots. B-line stalls and spirals are examples of descent techniques used when a pilot inadvertently encounters lift that's too strong for a normal descent. Frontal and asymmetric collapses are examples of training maneuvers that teach recovery techniques. These are situations that can occur in normal flight and it is certainly better to have experienced them in a safe environment and be able to handle them, then to just be surprised by them. The point isn't to do the maneuver, it's knowing how to recover from it.'s even better yet to use good judgment and keep yourself out of situations requiring such a technique. Flying in a conservative manner and conditions will mean you will not likely ever encounter the need for them. But sometimes we are surprised by even the most benign is in those times that having been through a "Maneuvers Clinic" could be very helpful. Only attend a clinic given by a reputable and skilled pilot using all the normal precautions. The tow operators should be USHGA or USPPA certified for such tasks as should the instructors.

Aerobatics are maneuvers meant to explore the limits the PPG and are frequently employed for demonstration purposes. Any aerobatics increases the risk of flying but even more so in our craft. Among other things, a PG/PPG is incredibly intolerant of negative "G"s (where you feel weightless in your seat). Aerobatics done outside of established guidelines and without expert supervision dramatically reduces our safety margin and has proven quite deadly.

We offer guidelines for those individuals who have gone through a training course (not offered or sanctioned by USPPA) and make the choice to take on the increased risk. But keep in mind, even for the trained expert there are pitfalls:
  • 1. A PPG cannot endure negative G's...the pilot could tumble toward the wing and when he came back down,
    reloading the wing, could easily tangle lines in the motor. The uneven line length would likely yield an uncontrollable spiral.
  • 2. Since there is no certification requirements on the motors, there is no guarantee the various structures and mounts will be able to withstand the load imposed by aerobatics. Remember the sudden shock of a re-opening wing can be dramatically
    higher than loads imposed by the maneuver itself.
  • 3. Throwing a reserve with a motor on can save your life. However it's success is much less sure with a motor.
  • 4. Operational
  • 5. Recovery should be above 500' AGL,


  • 1. The pilot should have been through a training program for the maneuvers and possible emergencies.


  • 1. A hook knife should be in a position where quick and easy access is available even underwater.
  • 2. Reserve must be of sufficient size for pilot plus motor weight and the pilot must be proficient at throwing it
    from a simulator under the guidance of an instructor.
  • 3. If flying over water, have a boat available and sufficient floatation gear on yourself and motor.
  • 4. Equipment should be inspected by an experienced aerobatics instructor before using for the first time.
    Additionally it must be inspected even more thoroughly before each flight.

If you like to fly low over the water here is a hazard probably never considered! It is obviously best to avoid over-flying water owing to the possibility of drowning after an engine failure. Pilots have drowned in just a few feet of water after being dragged by moving water so much they could neither unclip nor keep their heads up.

Source: United States Powered Paragliding Association (American non-profit organization dedicated solely to the enhancement of PPG). USPPA’s hope is to "Promote, Enhance and Preserve the sport of Powered Paragliding" through the collective efforts of those who chose to participate.

Text & pictures : © USPPA
For further information: - E-mail: [email protected]


Hillsborough Balloon Festival
July 7 - 10, 2005
at Grimes Field, Hillsborough, New Hampshire

Since the early 1970's, the town of Hillsborough has put on summer festivals to provide the inhabitants of Hillsborough and surrounding towns witha entertaining, yet inexpensive way to have fun in the summer. The present day balloon festival is a combination of what used to be the Fireman's Weekend and the Hillsborough Balloon Festival and Fair.

The Balloon Festival also serves Hillsborough as a town with an opportunity to showcase itself and to raise money for local organizations like the Hillsborough Fire Department.

The Hillsborough Balloon Festival is sponsored by the Hillsborough Civic Organization, comprised of three local groups, the Hillsborough Fire Department, Hillsborough Lions Club, and Hillsborough Chamber of Commerce. Proceeds generated from the Balloon Festival provide major financial support for these organizations. In addition, most local businesses prosper during the week leading up to the event as well as during the weekend. When more than 30,000 people come to a town the size of Hillsborough, their presence is a major economic impact. Finally, residents of Hillsborough, the surrounding communities, and across New England have a weekend full of fun for the whole family.

In the early 1970's, the Hillsborough Fire Department organized the Firemen's Weekend, which featured a carnival midway, a hometown parade featuring fire apparatus from across the state of New Hampshire, a fireman's muster and a fireworks display on Sunday evening to close the event. The goal was to promote community spirit, provide inexpensive summer entertainment and generate money for the Fire Department. Over time events were added such as 4x4 truck pulls and a road race. The Fireman's weekend was held the 3rd weekend in July.

In the late 1980's, the Hillsborough Chamber of Commerce and Lions Club organized the first Hillsborough Balloon Festival & Fair. The Balloon Festival was held in early July and drew many local balloonists. Like Firemen's Weekend, the goal was to promote community spirit and provide income for both organizations. The Balloon Festival featured an arts & craft fair, balloon flights, and musical performers.

In 1994, Firemen's Weekend and the Balloon Festival & Fair merged to form the Hillsborough Balloon Festival. Each year, attendance has increased substantially. The 1999 Hillsborough Balloon Festival shattered all records with 30,000 people attending the Balloon Fest over the 4 days of operation. Each year new entertainers and events are added. The 1999 Balloon Fest featured the inaugural Eastern Draft Horse Pulls that drew one of the strongest fields of draft horses in the state. Our Saturday night fireworks display is one of the premier fireworks displays in all of New Hampshire. We also feature some of the best regional performing artists, including Hillsborough's own country and western vocalist Angela West with her group "Showdown".

All proceeds from the Hillsborough Balloon Festival help the Hillsborough Fire Department, Hillsborough Lions Club, and Hillsborough Chamber of Commerce. Not only does the Balloon Festival help provide financial support for these three important organizations, it provides a source of revenue for many other local church and civic groups. The week of the Hillsborough Balloon Festival has been cited as THE busiest weekend for local merchants. And, just as importantly, the weekend offers the residents of Hillsborough and neighbouring communities inexpensive family entertainment. Overall, the beneficiaries of the event are many.

For further information, please contact:
[email protected]
or visit:

Pictures courtesy of Phelps Photo in Hillsborough, NH


Adventure présente un nouveau DVD sur le paramoteur

Adventure, la célèbre marque de paramoteur vient d'éditer un DVD reprenant les plus belles images de paramoteur autour de rubriques voyages, formation, émissions télé, et toutes les pratiques du paramoteur : du décollage mono ou bi à pied ou sur roulettes, jusqu'à la fameuse "Flycar", la voiture volante.

60 mn de bonheur et d'Adventure pour 10 €"

Pour plus de renseignements, veuillez contacter:
[email protected] -

FAI Centenary - 19 May 2005:
Reception at the Casino de Montbenon, Lausanne

A skilled display by local aeromodellers (turbine helicopter, miniature hot-air balloon...), was rounded off by the arrival of four parachutists in the very centre of Lausanne, as FAI marked the year of its centenary with a special reception at the Casino de Montbenon.

Representatives of almost 40 FAI member countries from 4 continents, as well as a dozen FAI Commissions, were present. The FAI President Pierre Portmann, in his celebratory address, welcomed many guests including prominent Swiss government officials, diplomats, leaders of other international sports federations, heads of various Swiss aviation bodies, and representatives of the Olympic movement. Bertrand Piccard spoke about his "Solar Impulse" project and an Ambassador representing Founder Members proposed a toast to the second century of FAI.

Madame Maurer-Mayor, Minister of the State of Vaud, wishing FAI well for its next 100 years, said "The City of Lausanne and the State of Vaud are proud and honoured by the presence of FAI. It offers the local people a great opportunity to plunge into the fascinating world of aeronautics."

For further information, please visit:
Pictures provided and copyrighted by FAI


THEMA glider - escape the ordinary!

The new glider THEMA is actually a wing in the DHV 1-2 class upper performance range with all balanced features, best in-flight stability and outstanding wide speed range. The new THEMA - a newly defined perfection!

This new glider is certainly featured with all PRO-DESIGN innovations such as TETS, ram-air-pockets, span tape, PRO-DESIGN line technology etc. etc.
V-rib technology implemented all over the wing span.
Like on the THESIS, JAZZ and the EFFECT II we have used the new NCV 9017 40gr fabric on the THEMA to have a light weight canopy with small packing.

This new wing features with best launch characteristics for all wind and terrain conditions.

Pictures provided and copyrighted by PRO DESIGN

Flight, hanfling, performance
With the new THEMA everyone will immediately be impressed by the nice handling and the way it flies. Easy as an Intermediate but strong in performance with a most effective Speed System for a real fast and effective accelerated flight!

Renowned quality and manufacture
PRO-DESIGN and quality means the same word. That made us renowned in the whole world. The THEMA is made best like all our other gliders and products.

Target group
Intermediate pilots, pilots who fly regularly and seeking for most pleasure in flight with a modern wing with great performance!

For further information, please contact:

PRO-DESIGN, Herbert Hofbauer
Email: [email protected]


APCO launches a new small size of Thrust, special paramotor glider

At the beginning of the 2005 season, APCO launched the Small size of Thrust - our special paramotor glider. It completes the range of our THRUST glider already on the market in M, L and XL sizes.

pictures courtesy of JLM, Mr. Nakagawa

  • APCO THRUST S is certified by AFNOR/CEN for a weight range of 65-85 kg. all up free flight.
  • THRUST S is also confirmed by AFNOR/CEN for paramotor flying with maximum weight of up to 115 kg.
  • It performs equally well under power and as a beginner/intermediate glider for the free flier.
  • THRUST S shares the good qualities of the Thrust range already well appreciated by many pilots,.
  • and gaining an excellent reputation for both paramotor and free flying thanks to its outstanding launch characteristics,
    precise handling, good safety and agreeable performance (THRUST is the No.1 seller in the World's biggest paramotor market - the USA)
  • THRUST S (as well as M, L and XL) is in full production and orders are being delivered promptly.
For furhter information, please contact:
Anatoly Cohn
APCO Aviation Ltd.
Tel: +972 4 627 3727
Fax: +972 4 627 3728

A popular paragliding gadget: the Flight Deck (instrument cockpit)

APCO’s Flight Deck resembles other cockpits, but has some unique features which makes it more user friendly and convenient.

As all other cockpits, top part is designed to hold flying instruments. The floor is velcroed to keep the instruments in place and the floor angle is adjustable for optimal viewing possibilities. The instruments are covered with a padded flap. The bottom part (ballast bag) is designed as a separate compartment to hold APCO's 9L Liquipak inner ballast bag.

It can be zipped on to the top part or left off, depending on pilot's need or preferences. So if flight does not require ballast, it can just be zipped off. Additional storage space (pocket) is built in to the flight deck with zipped front entry. Of course there is no compromise on quality and materials. Attention to detail is exceptional as always

  • Adjustable viewing angle for instruments
  • Well Padded instrument compartment
  • Detachable bottom compartment for Ballast bag
  • Bottom compartment (ballast bag) compatable also for APCO ballast inner bag (Liquipak Code 20005)
    holding up to 9L (Liquipak should be ordered separately)
  • Dry Storage pocket with front entry
  • Durable, heavy duty cloth - well padded

For furhter information, please contact:
Anatoly Cohn
APCO Aviation Ltd.
Tel: +972 4 627 3727
Fax: +972 4 627 3728

Le premier vol solo Trans-Afrique, effectué par un Belge en ULM (5ème partie et fin)

Récit et photos: Alex Demets

Jour 26
Eh bien, il s'en est fallut de peu que je n'y sois pas, à Alger. Déjà au lever, je découvre les premiers petits nuages du désert. J’attends que l'hôtelier aille chercher le pain, le pain français comme on dit chez nous, des baguettes en France. C'est bien une des bonnes choses en Algérie, et de qualité constante surtout. Le resto et les couverts on l'air propre, ce que je ne peux pas dire de la chambre, elle était franchement dégelasse, et je ne vous décrirai pas l'état des murs. C'est le tout premier hôtel au monde ou j'ai refusé d'enlever le couvre lit, et où j'ai utilisé ma couette emportée en cas d'urgence. L'hygiène n'est pas vraiment le premier souci dans l'Algérie du sud. Du moins, dans les hôtels locaux. Il y a du gros boulot à faire. Bien sûr, il y a du positif aussi. Par exemple, un simple coup de fil à l'aéroport suffit pour qu'une voiture s'amène me chercher .Sans frais aucun.

Aussi, hier soir, j'ai du découvrir que le resto de l'hôtel était fermé pendant 4 mois. Le clerc devant mon dépit (je n'avais plus mangé depuis 24 h, vu mon état) me propose de m'emmener dans un resto en ville. Ok, et me voilà assis derrière lui, sur une moto démarrant au son de "Fur Elise". Il me conduit sans embûches dans un resto vraiment local, avec un tenancier digne des bandes dessinées, gros, très gros bide et pas rasé. A peine rentré, c'est déjà un bon appétit que je reçois. Avant le bonsoir. Je m'installe à une table seule, personne ne me regarde, je suis pourtant le seul européen à des milles à la ronde. Mais, c'est vrai, vu mon look actuel, plusieurs fois déjà on m'a demandé des renseignements en Arabe.

Je commande un 1/2 poulet rôti, avec du riz, que je mange avec de longues dents. Avant un potage qui rentre bien, lui. Entre-temps, le resto se remplit bien, et dans un coin c'est la file pour le seul tapis à prières. Faut se préparer pour le Ramadan, qui démarre vendredi.Des gens ressortent, mais d'autres plus tenaces, s'installent avec moi à table. La conversation est difficile, surtout que c'est d'abord en Arabe que cela commence. Le français qui suit n'est guère plus compréhensible, on s'en tient donc là. J'avale mon souper grâce au Coca-Cola, qui comme vous le savez peut-être était d'abord un médicament, sirop universel. De temps en temps il retrouve toutes ses vertus....

Mon chauffeur réapparaît, je paye royalement 360 da, soit un peu moins de 5 €. C'est à nouveau un "bon appétit" comme au revoir. Re- petit tour en moto, moi tenant les emplettes de mon chauffeur. Je ne me tiens plus qu'à une main, je suis plus rassuré derrière le stick de Mosquito.

Météo prise pour la nav, il fait "potable" partout : petits nuages fragmentés à 2500 pieds, plafond soudé à 110000 pieds. Ca passera. Je décolle, et vois tout de suite que des problèmes, je risque d'en avoir. Au loin, le ciel est sombre. Cela ne va pas durer longtemps d'ailleurs et je vole dans la toute première pluie de mon voyage (une vraie, pas quelques gouttes comme en RCA), et ça en plein désert. Je parviens à maintenir 7500 pieds, la visibilité diminue dramatiquement dans chaque averse. Et oui, j'en traverse plusieurs. Malgré cela, j'ai un vent arrière monstre, genre 40 knt (65 km/h), paraît que le vent vient du nord aujourd'hui. Tiens, pas pour moi.

Mais, les montagnes, la première des deux rangées avant Alger, se dressent devant moi. Le temps ne s'améliore vraiment pas, au contraire. Des nuages bas, genre brouillard enveloppent les sommets, la couche au niveau 110 déverse ses trop-pleins. Je consulte activement la touche "nrst" (qui donne les pistes le plus proches) sur mon Garmin. Pendant ce temps, ce f... Horizon me laisse tomber. Il est mort, archi mort. Ce n’est pas le moment. Le contact régulier que j'avais avec Alger info tombe à l'eau aussi. Pourtant, j'entends sa conversation avec les avions volants plus haut. Je réussis à passer la première chaîne, je suis vertical Boussaâda, dernière piste posable avant Alger.

Pendant quelques instants j'envisage d'y atterrir, tellement les conditions sont limites. Pourtant, en montant et descendant au gré du relief et de la couche les recouvrant, je découvre ici et là des passages me laissant de la marge. Je continue, gardant Boussaâda en dernier recours. Heureusement, le deuxième relief est moins haut, et il s'arrête de pleuvoir. Reste le jonglage avec les couches, parfois vaut mieux rester au dessus, parfois en dessous. C'est de la fine navigation de montagne. Au loin, je vois une bande bleue, je suis sauvé. Mais, tjrs pas de contact radio, je commence à craindre une panne, quand je réussis à contacter l'avion au dessus de moi, qui alors relaie mon message à Alger. Ouf, la radio fonctionne. Cela va durer jusqu'à avoir complètement dépassé les montagnes avant que j'aie à nouveau contact.

Alger en vue, les deux pistes bizarrement disposée (l'une quasi dans la prolongation de l'autre, que quelques degrés d'écart: une piste 27 et une piste 23), j'entame ma finale sur la 27, quand un Atr est autorisé à s'aligner sur la 23. Si celui-la décolle, on va se croiser. Ouf, le contrôleur ne m'a pas oublié, il a même visuel.

Suit ensuite le plus long taxi que j'ai déjà du faire (Dahkla au Maroc inclus). On me met sur le parking P5, le dernier des parkings. Tout de suite vient, oui, oui, un policier. Il s'occupe très gentiment de moi, sympathise même en apprenant mon voyage. Entre-temps, on s'enquiert pour moi pour trouver un hôtel: Alger est plein a raz bords.

L'administration, l'attente d'un hôtel dispo, le trajet du taxi vers le Blankenberge local et la seule chambre dispo font que, atterri à 12.30h, je suis à l'hôtel à 17 h. Qui dit que je suis en vacances?? Mais bon, les pleins sont faits, et, avec de l'avgas, ultrachère.60l pour 95 $. Le contraste avec la super est grand.

L'hôtel est convenable, le taxi est cher: 30€ pour la 1/2 h de route. Celui qui m'a racolé pour me trouver un taxi illégal (qui ne paye pas la taxe aéroport) me demande un bakchich pour son service: 5€. Comme je n'ai pas ça, il dit sans vergogne: 10€ alors! Je lui donne 200 DA, soit 2,5 €, non mais! Demain, ce sera direction Tanger que j'irai. La méditerranée à l'est sera bouchée. J'essayerai donc d'atteindre Almeria en Espagne. Première étape en Europe. Si la mauvaise météo persiste sur la France, je me payerai un petit jour à Barcelone. Mais là, je vais un peu vite. Faudra aviser au moment même, mais préparer maintenant. Pour la première fois depuis mon départ, j'ai hâte à quitter l'Afrique. Alex, qui compte les derniers jours.

Jour 27
Ce matin, j'ai fait la grasse matinée. Réveillé par une évacuation "discrète" de la chambre à coté de la mienne, il est 7h30! Ça change avec l'Afrique. Mais juste, pour moi il est 6.30h, j'ai à nouveau perdu 1 heure. Hier matin, le taximan était bien là comme prévu. Il vient me recueillir à l'hôtel le Corsaire, dans le village Surcouf (authentique!), juste à coté d'Alger. Arrivé à l'aéroport, il me dépose à 2 km du terminal, et oui, il ne paye pas la taxe aéroport, donc, ne peut pas se garer devant. Je commence à avoir l'habitude de porter mes bagages. Prix du trajet: 10 €. Avec en cours de route tous les commentaires possibles sur la situation en Algérie, et la nécessité de déplacer la capitale au milieu du Sahara. Cela solutionnerait tous les problèmes. Sentant qu'on se trouve sur du sable mouvant, je m'efforce de n'émettre que des mono syllabes, "mouais", "sur", tiens donc", normalement hautement efficaces pour tarir la source de paroles, mais pas ici. Aussi, j'aurais aimé qu'il se concentre un peu plus sur la route, il utilise plus la bande gauche que droite, virages inclus. Le tout à une vitesse effarante. Heureusement, les freins sont bons, car tout le trajet est jalonné par des ralentisseurs, qui font ici fonction de mesure anti-terroristes (lisez, fondamentalistes religieux), régulièrement aussi, des contrôles police/gendarmes/armée. Vivant, je me mets dans la file d'algériens, avides de quitter leur pays. Contrôle bagages, je rentre dans le terminal à la recherche de mon policier attitré. On m'en trouve un, et c'est à nouveau le traitement VIP surveillé, mais VIP quand même. Je passe tous les contrôles, c.à.d. c'est le policier que les passe pour moi. Moi, je dois surtout rester assis et ne pas bouger! Pas trop dur.

Ensuite, c'est route vers le briefing, prise de météo qui confirme qu'il vaut mieux passer par Tanger. Taxes d'atterrissage et de navigation (exprimé en unités de distances), taxe de parking à payer dans un autre bureau, c'est un autre organisme. C'est bon pour la condition, la marche, qu'ils disent.

Je retrouve Mosquito derrière les 2 ATR, le policier m'y dépose, s'inquiète que j'ai bien l'intention de décoller, puis disparaît.

15 min plus tard, je suis en l'air, départ piste 27, tandis que sur la 23 un gros atterrit. Direction point de sortie S, puis direction côte, tout ça pour éviter des zones interdites. Et ils ont un radar, donc transpondeur conseillé. La première fois en Afrique. Hmmm, serait-ce çà la civilisation?

En route, la côte Algérienne, très montagneuse est très jolie. Le soleil est de la partie. Eole a manqué son rendez-vous. Il me gratte le nez, mais gentiment, 5 knt me ralentissent un peu. Ce n’est pas grave, ce sont mes dernières heures en Afrique. Je commence à sentir une petite pointe de regrets, les images vécues défilent au gré des nautiques parcourus. Je passe tout les VORs prévus (selon le briefing, réservés aux IFR, ils me considèrent donc comme VFR-IFR ou l'inverse. J'avais beau leur expliquer que ce n'est pas parce qu'on suit les VORs qu'on est IFR .Rien à faire.). C'est très facile pour les estimées.

Arrivé à Tétouan, je me demande pourquoi j'ai choisi Tanger comme dernière piste. Tétouan a l'air bien plus sympa. Mais bon, Tanger est une étape classique pour quitter l'Afrique, cela fait la 5ème fois qui j'y atterris.

Je demande l'Avgas, je suis pressé. Il est 15.30H, j'ai encore 200 NM à faire pour arriver à Almeria. Le soleil a dépassé sont apogée. Le responsable termine le refueling d'un bi réacteur privé, c'est à moi. C'est sans compter sur l'arrivée d'un autre gros, qui sera refuelé avant moi! Grrrr, j'enrage. Je contacte la tour et exprime mon courroux. Le parapluie s'ouvre, c'est pas lui, c'est le service responsable. Si je veux, je peux porter plainte. La nouvelle se répand comme une traînée de poudre, (j'étais très fâché), jamais le briefing ni le contrôle de police n'aura été aussi rapide à Tanger. J'ai enfin mon essence convoitée, 87 $ pour 62 litres, j'ai le compte exact."C'est tout, me demande le refueler??" Mon regard lui suffit. Demandez à ma fille, elle sait ce que cela veut dire.
Allez hop, en avant pour l'Europe. Les 80 CV de mon Rotax commencent à sentir l'avoine, Eole est là, et bien là. Le temps est magnifique, la lumière de fin d'aprèm rend tout très joli. La photo de Gibraltar obligatoire, les contacts avec Séville info restent tjrs très difficiles, si pas impossible. Je connais. Je plonge vers le point W de Malaga, là aussi, pas de contact possible avec l'approche. Je reste sagement à 1000 pds, je survole la côte à 240 km H. J'essaye Malaga tour, et ô miracle, j'ai une réponse claire et nette."Affichez 2246", et je traverse allègrement la ctr. On fait des progrès à Malaga. Arrivé près de la piste, il me demande d'accélérer!?! Bon, je pousse à 260 km/h, j'espère qu'il est content. Oui, il l'est, il me remercie même en sortie de zone. Prochain contrôle, c'est mon point d'arrivée, Almeria. Je m'inquiète un peu, car à Tanger on m'avait dit qu'il pourrait y avoir des problèmes de parking. C'est classique à Almeria, à Alicante aussi. On m'autorise une directe sur la 8, coup d'oeil sur le parking en finale: il est vide, archi vide. On me donne un follow-me, qui me guide en plein milieu du tout nouveau parking aviation générale. Je suis le premier à m'y garer. Aussi le seul sur la pleine immense. Vu de la tour (où je suis invité plus tard) cela fait très comique.

Passage douane et contrôle passeport ne sont qu'une formalité, je monte à la tour, et entame un échange d'histoires et d'émotions entre férus de voyages et d'aventures. Le contrôleur a même trouvé mon site sur internet. Il est temps de trouver un hôtel, je découvre que l'Espagne c'est encore un peu l'Afrique quand même. Dans les taxis, le tapis de prières et les croix de Fatima sont remplacés par des effigies de Maria, et dessins de Jésus. La conduite est très similaire à l'Algérie. Manque juste les trous dans le pare-brise et dans les fauteuils.

On me trouve un très chouette hôtel plein centre: Le Torreluz, avec chambres 2 et 3 étoiles. Prix modique de 55 €, et très belles chambres.....propres!

A partir de maintenant, on pourra me joindre sur mon GSM, le tel satellite est inutilisable en ville. Un tour à la banque pour échanger mes $ en €, et je pars vers Barcelone. Le but est d'arriver le samedi 16-10 à Baisy-Thy/Genappe. Vu la météo prévue, ce ne sera pas facile, je le crains. Mais, je vous tiendrai au courant par mes mails. Alex, en Europe.

Jour 28
Le soir, je me ballade en ville. Almeria est une ville Andalouse, jolie, mais avec de gros problèmes raciaux. C'est pourquoi aussi c'est la moins chère d'Espagne. Je mange des tapas sur une terrasse, malgré l'heure tardive, il fait printanier. Je jouis de mon premier vin depuis près d'un mois. Corsé le Rioja. A la table à coté, un couple de jeunes français entame la conversation. Ils sont aussi de vrais voyageurs, c'est tjrs garanti pour des histoires palpitantes.

Les matinées deviennent de plus en plus grasses, c'est vrai que les distances à parcourir sont courtes, avec une étape Africaine, j'aurais traversé toute l'Espagne. Mais, le but est d'arriver Samedi à Baisy-Thy, entre 14 et 15h.

Le ciel est ultra limpide, je n'ai jamais vu l'Espagne si jolie. Les plages sont désertes, la température clémente. Ce midi, j'ai à traverser plusieurs zones de contrôles, pas nécessairement les plus faciles, j'y ai déjà eu des déboires. Cela commence par Alicante, je passe comme une fleur, à 1500 pds, vertical terrain. Contrôle très gentil et efficace. Vient rapidement Valencia, qui a, normalement, un passage réservé pour les avions VFR, au large de la côte. Mais, il est fermé. Ne reste plus que l'option de monter à 6500 pds, on me le demande, je refuse car le plafond de nuages est trop bas. La contrôleuse ne fait pas de problèmes, et m'autorise de passer vertical, en évitant les axes des 2 pistes, à l'altitude de mon choix. Tiens donc, cela s'est nettement amélioré, le contrôle Espagnol. Bravo, et merci! Vient Reus et la toute grosse zone de Barcelone. Partout, la radio fonctionne nettement mieux que l'année passée, c'est maintenant un régal de traverser l'Espagne en avion.

Au milieu de la zone, il y a la piste de Sabadell, petite ville à coté de Barcelone. Le vent y est souvent fort, et très turbulent car entouré de collines. L'approche se fait presque à hauteur des bâtiments. L'atterrissage n'est pas mon plus joli, c'est plutôt un appontage: une rafale me cloue au sol. Pas de bobo, on en a vu d'autres, Mosquito et moi.

Entre-temps, j'avais pris contact avec Jordi Palmo, un pilote que je connais depuis quelque temps, et sympathiquement, il me réserve une chambre dans le centre de Barcelone, l'Astoria Hôtel très classe, bien, et pour Barcelone pas trop cher: 80 €.

Le soir, après le cours de japonais, Jordi et sa copine (oui, japonaise) viennent me rejoindre pour une soirée ou on rit beaucoup, et que je parle trop. Le vin et le saké sont excellents, le poisson du resto, oui, japonais, une délicatesse. Excellente adresse. Les heures ont défilé, comme tjrs quand on est en bonne compagnie. Alex, en vacances.

Jour 29
Le matin aussi, les heures défilent. Il est 9.30h quand je vais déjeuner. Je commence à avoir de mauvaises habitudes!! Sabadell, c'est 1 heure de taxi, j'arrive donc vers 11.15h à la piste, les formalités sont rapides, je quitte Barcelone à 12.00h, destination Lyon Bron, piste tout près de la ville de Lyon. C'est là que m'attendent des pilotes de la pilotlist (forum de discussion de pilotes de tout genre) avides d'entendre mes récits en personne, et Bernard Daval en particulier, aussi friand de navigations africaines.

Seulement, la météo ne s'annonce pas jolie, jolie. Orages épars, plafond pas trop haut. Jusqu'a Montpellier, tout va bien. Seulement, le relief entourant la vallée du Rhône retient les nuages, il y a aussi les orages. C'est à nouveau que je me faufile entre les couches, essayant de trouver le meilleur cheminement pour pouvoir passer dans la vallée. Comme en Algérie. Ceci tout en évitant les fameuses ZIT, Zones Interdites Temporaires, une invention Française pour protéger les centrales nucléaires d'attentats en avion.

C'est surtout à hauteur d'Orange, là où la vallée se rétrécit, que cela devient un exercice où il faut se concentrer. Heureusement, le contrôle est la pour aider, eux-mêmes aidés par mon transpondeur, qui leur montre sur radar où, et à quelle altitude je suis. Je suis dans la vallée et m'approche rapidement de ma destination. Une couche de nuages à basse altitude, trop basse pour passer en dessous, m'inquiète. Entre-temps, le moteur qui règle le pas de l'hélice refuse toute fonction. Il reste obstinément sur le pas de croisière. Pas idéal pour atterrir, ni décoller, mais sur longue piste avion, cela ne pose pas de problème. Demain, je monterai mon moteur de réserve. Comme quoi l'aventure n'est pas encore terminée. C'est pour bientôt.

L'approche de Lyon est au courant de ma venue, un avion de ma taille de guêpe n'est pas commun à Lyon Bron. Mais, comme j'ai un transpondeur, cela ne leur pose pas de problèmes. Ils m'autorisent rapidement de prendre contact directement avec ma destination, qui me tranquillise au sujet des nuages, ils sont dissous au dessus de la piste. Lyon est bien là, la piste, mouillée aussi. (il a plu dans toute la vallée, juste avant que j'y arrive. J'ai à nouveau eu de la chance.)
Il fait froid, très froid à Lyon, deux capuccino dans le terminal de la piste me réchauffent, en attendant Bernard qui ne tarde pas à venir me chercher, et à m’offrir l'hospitalité dans sa demeure. Très sympa!

Demain, j'essayerai d'arriver à Dijon, où est l'usine dans laquelle Mosquito est né. La piste se trouve en hauteur, dominant la vallée. Si je suis là, normalement, je dois pouvoir rentrer en Belgique le samedi. Ce passage est parfois très difficile par mauvais temps. On verra demain. Encore deux jours.

Jour 30
Ce matin, c'est vers 11 h que je me trouve au terrain de Lyon Bron. Je compte profiter du temps restant avant le lunch, pour mettre mes bagages dans l'avion, mais aussi surtout pour changer le moteur du pas d'hélice. Avant de mettre la main à la pâte, je donne un coup de fil à Didier Coddens, celui qui a magistralement préparé mon MCR, pour lui décrire les symptômes. C'est un petit problème qui est connu, et il me dit que changer le moteur n'améliorera rien, vu qu'il fonctionne (oui, mais uniquement pour augmenter le pas, chose que je ne ferai dans aucun cas, je n'aurais pas assez de puissance pour décoller ni monter) Ok donc, je ne fais rien, et passe mon temps à scruter le ciel, le plafond a une couleur inquiétante, et l'horizon n'invite guère à aller l'explorer. Hmmm, on verra après le lunch. Celui-ci se passe en la compagnie de JP Paralis, que je connais également via le forum de la Pilotlist. La soirée prévue hier fut en effet un peu compromise, vu que les pilotes étaient un peu éparpillés en Europe, et qu'en fait on m’attendait ce soir, pas hier. N'empêche, la soirée avec Josette et Bernard fut très agréable, et le lunch aussi. Retour aérodrome, où je constate que Mosquito a admirablement résisté à un gros orage, avec grêle et tout le programme, mais ce n’est pas les 40 knt qui vont l'effrayer, même vent arrière, il en a vu d'autres. Je prends quand même la sage initiative de l'attacher, mon vol vers Dijon semble définitivement compromis. JP me confirme qu'il est impossible de sortir de la vallée du Rhône et de la Saône, je passerai une deuxième nuit à Lyon. Heureusement, la chaîne météo prévoit une petite amélioration demain matin, il ne pleuvra pas. Mais j'ai intérêt à ne pas traîner. De plus, demain, c'est l'arrivée prévue à Baisy-Thy, et ....on m'attend à partir de 14.00h.Facile, Lyon-Baisy-Thy ne fait que 3 h de vol! Alex, Lyonnais

Jour 31
De bonne heure, je suis au terrain. Bron, c'est le tout premier aéroport de Lyon, maintenant c'est ex-Satolas, St-Exupéry qui lui succède. Il y a pas mal de trafic de biréacteurs, pour hommes d'affaires, politiciens et sportifs. Entouré de lotissements, la piste à l'origine prévue pour des Caravelles à été graduellement raccourcie a fin de diminuer les nuisances pour les habitations en bout de piste. Je me demande quel urbaniste a bien pu autoriser de bâtir là. Mais bon, aujourd'hui elle est assez longue pour moi, même avec un pas d'hélice caduc. 8.30h j'ai vérifié l'essence, plus qu'assez pour rallier Baisy-Thy, j'ai encore 90 l, soit 6 h de vol, ou presque. Je contourne Lyon pour arriver au point N, restant en dessous de 2500 pds, plus de contrôle pour moi. La vallée est dégagée, c'est sans encombres que j'arrive près de Dijon. Que je ne verrai jamais. Un gros cumulonimbus me barre le passage, avec tout ce qu'il amène: brume, nuages bas, vent fort et bien sûr pluie. Le vent du sud sud-ouest me pousse, j'essaye de contourner l'orage.

Vu son mouvement vers l’est, j'opte pour l'ouest. Petit à petit, à la recherche d'un passage, je découvre que je suis au sud de ....Paris!!Rapide, le MCR. Heureusement, je parviens ici à contourner le mauvais temps, et retrouve à peu près ma route d'origine. J'arrive vertical Vitry le François, et décide d'y atterrir: des besoins pressants, et le froid m'y obligent. On m'offre gentiment le café, pendant que je raconte brièvement mon aventure. Au loin, derrière Reims, c'est sombre. Mais, on voit la tour sur la colline, si on la voit, ça passe, disent les locaux. Bon, je décolle à nouveau, et très vite je rencontre de la pluie fine, collante au pare-brise. Le plafond descend, c'est 1200 pds max qu'on me laisse. Là aussi, j'essaye de trouver un trou, je dois absolument aller vers le nord. Je trouve la vallée de la Meuse, mais c'est bouché également. De fil en aiguille, je me sud de Luxembourg!! Et ça ne passe tjrs pas. Bon, cela commence à devenir inquiétant, je décide de retourner à Vitry, mais maintenant j'ai du vent, beaucoup de vent dans le nez. Cela fait 4.30h (!) que je vole, le niveau d'essence diminue, il n'y a pas d'essence à Vitry, j'espère que je pourrai atteindre Reims Prunay. Petit à petit j'arrive en local de Vitry, on ne voit plus la tour sur la colline...! (en anglais). J'essaye en vain de contacter Prunay, je suis soit trop loin, soit trop bas. Bon, je n'ai pas le choix, malgré le plafond bas, j'essaye d'y arriver. Un pilote venant du nord entend mes appels, Prunay est en auto information. Plus important, il me confirme que ça passe pour Prunay, j'y vais. Je me faufile dans la vallée, et plonge sur la piste, ouf!Ici, ils ont de l'essence. Il est 13.15h. Pas d'essence avant 14.00h! Hmm, risqué d'attendre, surtout, il y a une éclaircie à l'ouest. J'appelle la météo Belge.:plafond 1200 pds, éviter les Ardennes, Florenne est dans les nuages, mais cela devrait passer via Maubeuge, au pire Valencienne. Un peu de pluie à Lille, le reste est sec, qu'il dit. Coup de fil au club, chez eux c'est volable, on se met d'accord pour se retrouver à Maubeuge, ils emmèneront un jerrycan d'essence. Je contrôle le niveau, j'ai 22 litres.

Assez pour rejoindre Baisy-Thy dans des conditions idéales, de plus j'ai un bon vent du sud. Je décolle, prend contact avec Reims Champagne, terrain militaire. Très courtois comme toujours, il me propose de consulter le radar météo, pendant que je traverse leur zone. Même plafond qu'en Belgique, pas de pluie à voir. Ouf! Je continue, concentré. Graduellement les conditions deviennent vraiment limite. Le plafond est plutôt à 1000 pds, le sol grimpe à 600 pds. J'ai régulièrement la tête dans les nuages, une bruine commence à coller à la bulle. Je fait un avec ma machine, j’oublie les instruments, je me concentre sur ce qui défile dehors. La carte n'a plus de secrets pour moi, je sais que 610 pds, c'est la hauteur max que je rencontrerai.

Bientôt devrait venir la ligne haute tension. Oui!a voilà! Je joue à saute mouton, me retrouve complètement dans les nuages. Oups, je redescend et retrouve vite la vue du sol. Reste plus que les 2 cheminées rouges et blanches au sud de Maubeuge, et j'y suis. Voilà la première, le plafond monte un peu, le sol descend. J’entends Christophe qui s'approche de Maubeuge, je respire à nouveau. La deuxième cheminée est là, vent arrière pour la 26. Pfff!! Et bien, il est temps que j'arrive, cette dernière journée risque d'être celle en trop. Les retrouvailles avec Christophe Coddens et Thierry Conil sont brèves, on ajoute 20 l à mon réservoir. C'est en "close formation", bientôt rejoints par 1 FK9, qu'on arrive vertical Baisy-Thy, je vois la tente montée sur l'herbe, les gens qui s'empressent le long de la piste. J'entendrai plus tard que notre arrivée en formation, Mosquito escorté par ces congénères, était des plus spectaculaire, voir émouvant. Je les gratifie bien sûr d'un passage bas pleine vitesse, suivi d'un atterrissage bien dosé, je n'avais pas envie de manger toute la piste avec mon grand pas. Décollé à 8.30, j'arrive pile poil à 15.00 à mon club. Hormis les arrêts, j'aurai mis 6.00h pour faire une navigation qui normalement fait 3.00! D’où, l'intérêt d'avoir un réservoir bien rempli. Fin du taxi, Mosquito est envahi par la foule, j'ouvre le cockpit, les applaudissements jaillissent, je cherche en vain ma petite famille, il y a plein de monde. Les émotions s'en donnent à cœur joie, c'est limite délire.

Tout le monde est là, les bons copains, du club, des dentistes, et de la vie en général, les sponsors, la presse écrite et la radio. Le champagne coule à flot, j'essaye de répondre à toutes les questions. Les retrouvailles familiales sont chaleureuses. Je me rends compte pendant la conférence de presse improvisée que ça y est, je l'ai fait, j’y suis arrivé. La réception qui suit est, comme c'est la coutume, organisée de main de maître par le patron, Roland Coddens. Même le tapis rouge ne manque pas. Mais, faudra que je revienne à la réalité belge, le luxe, la dure réalité n'aura jamais été très loin en Afrique.


Retrouvez plus de détails sur l’expédition d’Alex Demets sur :